10 Awesome Things To Do In Northern Ireland This Week (20-26 November)
November 21, 2017 Chris Caldwell 0 Comments
The awesome guys at the tourist board know there are stacks of fun things to do across NI, from family days out to gigs and cultural events every week. So here are their top 10 exciting things taking place this week (20-26 November)
- Armagh Georgian Festival, Co. Armagh, 23-26 November. Armagh’s much loved Georgian Festival returns to mark the beginning of the festive season. The festival includes the return of the Georgian Banquet, where guests can travel through the mists of time to Georgian Armagh. Festive market stalls hosted by traders in traditional costume will offer high-quality gifts and locally produced food and drink. The children’s Christmas market will also return as well as horse and carriage rides, live music, talks and tours. As darkness falls, the dramatic light show will burst to life, illuminating the backdrop of the Georgian Market House and creating a festive atmosphere with contemporary and seasonal music.
- Foyle Film Festival, Derry~Londonderry, 17 – 26 November. Foyle Film Festival is an annual celebration of independent films, acclaimed feature-length movies, documentaries and short films. Films include the Northern Ireland premiere of Walk With Me, Battle of the Sexes and family favourite, Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, along with many others. For full line-up visit FoyleFilmFestival.org
- Hugo Duncan and Friends at The Portico, Portaferry, Co.Down, 24 November. A night of great entertainment as the ever-popular Hugo Duncan sings in the unique surroundings of The Portico in Portaferry. Hugo will be joined by Philomena Begley, Stephen Smyth, Boxcar Brian and Country Harmony. An evening not to be missed by fans of the Strabane man.
- 2017 Friendship Four, SSE Arena, Belfast. 24-25 November. The Friendship Four hockey tournament is the first and only NCAA Division hockey tournament outside of the United States of America. The tournament includes four different NCAA Division Universities from America travelling to Belfast for six days to compete in a four-game tournament over two days. The 2017 competing Universities have been confirmed as Clarkson University, RPI, Providence University and the University of Maine.
- 20th anniversary of Titanic the movie, Titanic Belfast, 19 November – 19 December. 20 years ago the blockbuster film, telling the story of the luxury liner’s fateful maiden voyage through the love story of passengers Jack and Rose, premiered on screens and became one of the top-grossing films of all time. To mark the occasion, Titanic Belfast which has been described by Titanic movie director, James Cameron, as ‘magnificent and dramatic’, is hosting a blockbuster line-up of events including a Titanic Movie Drive-In, Afternoon Tea and Movie Experience and a Movie Magic Month.
- Festive Fair, Derry~Londonderry, 25 November. Creggan Country Park will be transformed into a festive hub of activity with local arts and crafts businesses promoting their Christmas delights. Creggan Country Kitchen will host a festive BBQ on the day. Mulled wine and hot chocolate will be available to purchase throughout the day.
- Cookstown Christmas Lights Switch On, Co. Tyrone, 24 November. Christmas in Cookstown gets officially underway this year with the big switch on of the town’s Christmas lights at 5.30pm. Watch the streets come alive, in what has to be the most spectacular display in the country, that will make you know for sure that Christmas is really just around the corner. Get into the festive season, wrap up warm and come join in the fun.
- Sleeping Beauty, Lisburn, Co. Antrim, 23-24 November. Doogan Dance Academy has worked together with the Russian ballet in a project called Dancing Without Borders to produce their version of Sleeping Beauty. This is a great privilege for the dancers to work with such elite and professional dancers in order to create a show that is not to be missed for the whole family in the run-up to Christmas.
- Northern Ireland Farm Toy & Model Show, Portrush, Co. Antrim, 24 November. Magherabuoy House Hotel will host this show with plenty of ideas for Christmas presents for kids and adults alike. On display will be tractors, trailers, tankers, manure spreaders, forage harvesters, animals, pedal tractors, wooden farmyards, DVDs, clothing, crafts, cars, lorries and much more.
- An Evening with Bette Midler, Downpatrick, Co. Down, 20 November. She’s feisty, she’s naughty and she’s got a voice full to the brim with character and beauty. An Evening with Bette Midler is a wicked ride through the life of one of the world’s greatest divas. Featuring such smash hits as ‘From a Distance’ and ‘Wind Beneath My Wings’, this new music piece of theatre received standing ovations when it premiered at The Playhouse earlier this year.